Monday, August 14, 2006

Leaving Tokyo

Leaving Tokyo was a very difficult thing to do - it signalled the end of highly enjoyable trip and I have to say that this time I really fell in love with Japan. The rest of the country is nothing like Tokyo and I missed a great deal by not seeing it on my previous trips.

So, with a heavy heart I shouldered my bags and headed for Narita airport. It was here that the dissappointment started.

The simple act of checking in my bags became a drama - they actually charged me an extra 3000 yen because my bags were over the 20 kg limit (you heard right - you can have 32 kg, but you must pay if you have more than 20). Why am I paying this now I asked? I certainly didn't have to pay any extra luggage charges when I left Australia. I was outraged! So I did what every self respecting Australian would do in this situation.

I payed the extra fee without a fuss.

I just didn't have the fight left in me. I slinked off to find one last Japanese meal before I hit the land of the jellied donut. Braised Eel, washed down with a lovely draught of Kirin beer. I understand it was only just 3 pm, but I figured it was after 5 somewhere in the world. It was an enjoyable lunch and it would be the last time I experienced attentive and courtious service.

One thing I enjoy about air travel (and there is usually only one thing about screaming through the air at 4000 feet that is enjoyable) is that no matter how uncomfortable or crabby you feel - the air stewards and stewardesses are there, looking after you, making sure you get your meal, your complementary G&T and peanuts, your extra blanket etc., all with a smile and manner which makes you feel like you are actually getting your money's worth out of your ticket.

For some unknown reason - against all logic - I chose to fly American Airlines. Now I know why Tammy sniggered.

The food was terrible, but that can be forgiven. The movies were the same I saw coming over, but that can't really be helped. The stewards/ess' were considerably older than you might expect (and it was Tammy that said her first thoughts upon seeing them was that they were really lowering the bench for air hostesses the world over - not me (I wouldn't actually ever vocalise it)), but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

No - what really made me decide that AA would be best avoided in the future is that the service was surly.
Inattentive I can handle, but not when it is coupled with surly. I would like to know when the plane ran over their collective dog - because that is certainly what it felt like. Personally, I don't think sarcasm should ever be employed 9 hours into a flight when the passenger asks if it would be alright to have some milk in his tea.

Anyway - I am here.

From the park just up the road you have an uninterrupted view of Manhattan Island - its quite nice to see the sun turn the skyscrappers golden as it sets behind you.

Jersey City isn't so bad when you come to realise that the walk gangster hip hop wannabe's use back home to try and look intimidating is just the way people walk around here. I think it has something to do with all the chlorine in the water - I'll keep you posted on my findings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home