Thursday, November 30, 2006

A Headache And A Half

I toddled down to my District Office appointment in sunny downtown Newark today to get my temporary work permit issued (as I had been advised by the USCIS customer service center after my 4th call to them to find out what the deuce had happened to my permit) as I was on the understanding that it was outside the regular processing time and now serious things must be done.
I arrived and after filling out multiple forms and seeing 3 different people was then told by the silly bint behind the counter that a J2 visa does not allow one to work.

I remonstrated "I have a piece of paper here, a manual put out by the Department of Homeland Security that explicitly states that I can."

Well, this woman would have none of it, and I went back twice. She had some slip of paper that she had gotten from an internet site that claims that I can't work. Lets not dwell on the fact that she toldme this information was available online and we have not been able to find it.

Well bollocks to her, and bollocks to the whole darn country I thought. In the face of rightous ignorance one can only play the gentlemen and leave quietly.

I called the USCIS customer service center and was informed that YES! I can work.

"Huzzah!" I exclaimed. "So how does one get a temporary permit when the woman at the office refuses to sign the piece of paper?" (we will just ignore the fact that she had said it would probably take 3 weeks for the temproary permit to be issued and focus on the matter at hand)

I was informed that there wasn't much that could be done, and possibly the lady wouldn't issue the temporary permit as it is something they are trying to phase out (they are easily forgeable or some such malarky) and that I would need to wait 2 weeks before I could them back and have something done.

Well bollocks to the lot of them I thought.

There is one comforting thought. I can leave the country during the processing of my work permit without any affect on the process.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the hell???? Having been a victim to the illogical processes of bureaucracy (it took me 2 yrs to get my british passport, even though i met all requirements to be issued one immediately), i understand your frustrations.

However, I do object to the use of the term malarky (of irish origin, meaning nonsensical) to show your frustrations. Being of irish origin myself, and having such a term as my surname (even though the spelling is a variant on the original spelling), surely you could have used a more appropriate term - one that had no historical or cultural connection to your old buddy.
On second thought, you are right! It is a load of mal(l)arky!
I hope this nonsense gets sorted out quickly buddy! From the sounds of things, this saga seems to be coming to an end.
The wooly one.

1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By jove, the rampant ineptitude makes my bile boil in sympathy. How many more oafs (in plural perhaps "oaves"?) must you endure? How many more smarmy, unctuous know-all, grey-skinned public servants must ye kow-tow to in order to be able to pull your weight in the great slave ship that is latter-day American capitalism? Can they not see that you are positively gagging to whore your labour on the free market to any bidder who promises ye a bag o' coin o' the realm come weeks'-end?

Zounds!

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home