Thursday, January 11, 2007

Nothing Much

To the avid word fan (or Reader as we like to call them), my blog would seem a bit of a let down. It's not that I don't like writing in it, rather that there is a distinct lack of anything decent to write in it. That is, unless one would like to read about my complaints which I'm quite sure gets old very quickly.

Essentially, there has been little change in my situation since I arrived, apart from being rather much poorer and definitely much colder. It is starting to become a bit of a bore really.

One is spending their time learning about networking (in the computing sense), how to draw fashion illustrations and attempting to learn how to sew (this one is proving a little more difficult as the resources can be costly). One is also spending much of their time going to the local gymnasium for callisthenics. I'm not sure the last thing is having much of an effect but it keeps one out of trouble.

So there isn't much to like here at this point in time so my entries have been rather short. I've decided that this should probably be rectified and so I am going to write about a couple of things that I actually like about America (and I'm afraid you can count them on one hand, or paw).

Squirrels
That's right. The little blighters are furry and manic but are a pleasant sight to see scurrying around the suburban (and even city) streets. The variety that we have here are the Eastern Grey Squirrel (pictured)

although you occasionally see critters that are dark or reddish in colour (however I am reliably informed that they are the same species, just a recessive phenotype).
It always brings a smile to my face to see these little fellows bounding along the road as if the very devil himself is at his heels.



Bagels
Good Lord! The Americans have made a bread product that is not so full of corn syrup that it makes your toes curl in your shoes. They come in a variety of flavours and believe me - they are good.

Cheap Stuff
Cheap stuff? What the deuce is he talking about?
It's amazing really. Most things are cheap here - about half the price they are back home.
Now, when I say stuff and things, I am not talking about stuff that is important - those things cost alot. Stuff like cds, televisions, furniture, whitegoods, computers, clothings, etc etc are actually quite cheap. The things you need to survive (healthcare, insurance , etc) is quite expensive, and on many occasions out of reach of the everyday folk.
Couple the fact that things are cheap with the fact that there is an incredibly large selection of things to buy - you can see why America is a shoppers dream! All I need now is money (I know it exists, I've seen pictures of it on television).

Gin

The range of gins available is enough to make a grown man (they would have to be a martini lover) cry. Astronomical! And so incredibly affordable: $30 for a 1.5 litre bottle of Bombay Sapphire (and here, that is considered to be a fairly substandard gin - so you can see what sort of heaven I'm in...). Amazing!




So there you have it, a very short list of things I like - but a list nonetheless.
Till things get rosier....

Smoke me a kipper.

Sgt M

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awfully good to read to Johnny Yank has some redeeming qualities after all. One hears so seldom about the better side of life Stateside!

As for the bagles, well m' boy, I fear they may well be a European Jewish import (along with Comedy, The Musical Theatre, Smoked Salmon, and Going Home Early on Fridays for Sabbath). My dear Pater, both a Jew and an American, oftentimes has lamented the lack of suitable bagelry here "Down Under". And rightly bloody so, I fancy!

12:41 AM  
Blogger Sgt M said...

Which is an interesting thing.....If you dig deep enough you will often find that America's greatest claims to fame (such as the hamburger within the culinary fields) all come from somewhere else.

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home